Thursday 16 October 2008

2008 October 16 - Custard Night



Those who know me will know I can't eat eggs. I'm allergic to it. But only if they're cooked, like omelet (yum!), leche flan (yum!), hard-boiled egg (yum!) and other yum-producing egg-based food. In baked products like cake? No problem. It must be high heat in the oven. So, unless I want charred omelet (think high heat) I doubt I'll give cooked eggs a go.

A couple of weeks ago, I was surfing the net for recipes and found the phrase, "custard powder." It was invented by Alfred Bird in 1837 because his wife was allergic to eggs! YEY! I don't mean to be callous but if she hadn't been allergic I wouldn't have had a custard night to begin with. Bird's Custard Powder is manufactured in the UK and since my friend was coming home for a visit I asked her if she could bring me at least a can.

Tonight I made myself half a pint of custard. It's not quite like Ma's leche flan but it'll do for me. Sweet bliss! =)

P.S.

(one pint after...)
Medyo hilo na ako. Nasobrahan yata.


No comments:

Post a Comment